UU Spiritual Directors' Network
Why Seek Spiritual Direction?
- Perhaps you notice an awakening of the Spirit and want to explore this mystery.
- Perhaps prayer and meditation have been enduring practices, and a deepening is desired.
- Perhaps you face a growing edge.
- Perhaps you have questions about life's purpose.
The members of the Unitarian Universalist Spiritual Directors' Network are professional spiritual directors. We are ordained ministers and lay people who have earned credentials through formal spiritual direction training programs. We expect our members to adhere to the ethical guidelines for Spiritual Directors and to be a member of (at least one of) UUMA/UUSCM/LREDA.
Our spiritual wellsprings are Christian, Jewish, Buddhist, Pagan, Theist, Humanist and more. Guided by the practices of spiritual direction from a variety of religious traditions, we work with others, companioning and witnessing to their sacred stories and grace-filled moments. Spiritual Directors customarily meet with others one-on-one or in small groups on a regular basis.
For more information on individual or group spiritual direction, to locate a director, and to begin the process, please see the page of questions to consider when choosing a spiritual director, then browse our Directory of Members sorted geographically or alphabetically.
Contact us for more information about the Unitarian Universalist Spiritual Directors' Network.
A fee is commonly requested for these professional services. Some directors offer sliding scales or have scholarships available. Fees ranging from $75-$150 for individual direction, depending on geo-region, are typical.
The object of spiritual direction is to cultivate one's ability to discern God's presence in one's life: to notice and appreciate moments of holiness, to maintain an awareness of the interconnectedness of all things, to explore ways to be open to the Blessed Holy One in challenging and difficult moments as well as in joyful ones.— Rabbi Jacob Staub
We require our UUSDN spiritual directors to have completed a professional spiritual direction program. The profession does not yet have an accrediting body so UUSDN has established these criteria for "professional spiritual direction program." (adopted 2019)
- 18-24 month program (assuming program runs over a 2 day weekend, monthly, which most do. Otherwise, equivalent classroom hours @ ~220+ hours).
- Some portion of the program must include face-to-face/in-person didactic (e.g., not entirely online.)
- At least 6 months (e.g. 12-18 client hours) of supervised spiritual direction practicum where you are working with at least 2 clients.
- Two or more leaders/teachers, who have Spiritual Director credentials and several years of experience/supervision training.
- Affiliated with an organization: e.g. religious denomination and/or academic institution and/or has a board of directors (where that board is comprised of spiritual directors and/or persons familiar with the profession of spiritual direction. )
Spiritual Directors: We are on hiatus re: adding new Spiritual Directors for the summer. If you apply, your applicatio will be processed this Fall. Thank you for your patience.To apply for membership in UUSDN, or to update your listing, click HERE.